Globally, 57 million children remain out of school. In some countries, only 40% of children go through primary education. Education outcomes differ based on gender, race, class, and urban/rural divides. Among issues affecting the quality of education are cumulative advantage, child hunger, bullying, cost of higher education and others. This challenge addresses access to and quality of education at all levels worldwide.
Reference resources provide a starting point for your research projects.
Credo Reference provides hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and more in one place. Below is a sample of keyword searches in Credo Reference related to this topic.
Call Numbers and Subject Headings
You can use the list of call numbers and subject headings below as keyword searches in our catalog and databases, or you can go to these sections of the library to find books on these topics.
- LC65-245: Social aspects of education.
- LC1390-5160.3: Education of special classes of persons.
- RA790-790.95: Mental health. Mental illness prevention.
Books from Lane Library
All books in this list are located in the Franzen Center on Floor 3A.
- Big-city school reforms / LC5115.F88 2014
- Bilingual education: from compensatory to quality schooling / ebook
- Bilingual education in the 21st century / LB1025.G37 B54 2009
- The bully society: school shootings and the crisis of bullying in America’s schools / BF637.B85 K584 2012
- Bullying prevention: creating a positive school climate and developing social competence / LB3013.3 .O77 2006
- Challenges of quality education in Sub-Saharan African countries / ebook
- An Education in politics: the origins and evolution of No Child Left Behind / ebook
- The hostile environment: students who bully in school / LB3013.3 .C378 2015
- I am Malala / LC2330.Y69 2013
- Inequality for all / LC213.2.S365 I53 2012
- Learning in a burning house / LC2741 .H67 2011
- Lessons in educational equity: successful approaches to intractable problems around the world / ebook
- Race to the bottom: Corporate school reform and the future of public education / LA217.2 .M398 2015
- Reaching and teaching students in poverty / LC4091.G595 R42 2013
- Rethinking education and poverty / LC4065 .R48 2015
- Rural education for the twenty-first century: identity, place, and community in a globalizing world / LC5146.R82 2010
- The schooled society: the educational transformation of global culture / LC192.B35 2014
- Understanding poverty in the classroom / LB1062.6.T456 U52 2011
- Whither opportunity?: rising inequality, schools, and children’s life chances / LC4091.W495 2011
Search terms for additional books in Lane Library’s catalog:
Discovery Search: Search Lane Library’s books, ebooks, and articles in one place.
Books from other libraries
The following databases are useful places to search for articles. Contact a librarian if you would like more information on how to search for articles on your specific topic.
- Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
- Education Research Complete: Scholarly research in all areas of education, with full-text access to 1400 journals and 550 books. This includes topics such as early childhood education, higher education, testing, multilingual education, and health education.
- ERIC: Covers education journals and reports from 1966 to the present.
- JSTOR– Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
- New York Times: Access to news and archival content from NY Times. If you run into a paywall, here is more information on how to sign up.
- ProQuest Research Library: Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals covering a variety of subjects, with over 3300 titles available in full text.
Get articles from other libraries
Government Sources, Statistics, and Websites
- USA.gov: Access to information from federal agencies.
- U.S. Department of Education Data & Statistics
- Wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government and demographic information.
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction: state agency that advances public education and libraries in Wisconsin.
- CIA World Factbook : Background information on each country in the world.
- National Center for Education Statistics: primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education in the U.S. and other nations.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- US Census Bureau: Access to data from federal surveys and censuses.
- World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics. / Lane Library AY67 .N5 W7.
- The World Bank EdStats: Comprehensive data and analysis source for global education information.