Approximately 15% of global population is affected by mental health issues including anxiety and depression, substance abuse, and suicide (Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, 2017). Mental health issues are often stigmatized and result in social exclusion and disproportionate exposure to other risks. Mental health care heavily relies on expensive medications and therapy while innovative treatments are limited. In the United States, dissolution of mental health care systems parallels the rise in homelessness and incarceration rates. This challenge therefore addresses the causes and consequences of mental health issues while promoting greater well-being for all.
Reference resources provide a starting point for your research projects.
Credo Reference provides hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and more in one place. Below is a sample of keyword searches in Credo Reference related to mental health.
- clinical psychology
- cognitive behavioral therapy
- mental health
- mental illness
- Cultural Sociology of Mental Illness: An A-to-Z Guide / ebook
- Encyclopedia of Abnormal Psychology / ebook
- Encyclopedia of Counseling / ebook
- Encyclopedia of Trauma / ebook
- A Multidisciplinary Handbook of Child and Adolescent Mental Health for Front-line Professionals, 3rd ed. / ebook
- Pediatric Mental Health: A Compendium of AAP Clinical Practice Guidelines and Policies / ebook
- Pocket Guide to LGBTQ Mental Health / ebook
- Student Mental Health: A Guide for Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Leaders Serving in Higher Education / ebook
- Transgender Mental Health / ebook
Call Numbers and Subject Headings
You can use the list of call numbers and subject headings below as keyword searches in our catalog and databases, or you can go to these sections of the library to find books on these topics.
- BF1-990: Psychology
- RA790-790.95: Mental health. Mental illness prevention.
Books from Lane Library
All books in this list are located in the Franzen Center on Floor 3A.
- Critical issues in school-based mental health / LB3430.C75 2016
- Normality does not equal mental health: the need to look elsewhere for standards of good psychological health / RA790.5 .B34 2011
- The Praeger handbook of community mental health practice / RA790.5 .P663 2013 v.1-v.3
- The SAGE handbook of mental health and illness / RA790.5 .S24 2011
- Managing madness in the community: the challenge of contemporary mental health care / RA790.6 .D63 2014
- Healing the broken mind: transforming America’s failed mental health system / RA790.6 .K44 2009
- Rural mental health: issues, policies, and best practices / RA790.6 .R88 2012
- Mental health and mental disorders: an encyclopedia of conditions, treatments, and well-being / RC437 .M47 2016 v.1 – v.3
- Citizenship and mental health / RC451.4.H64 R69 2015
- Mental health, race, and culture / RC455.4.E8 F468 2002
- A Handbook for the study of mental health: social contexts, theories, and systems / RC455 .H285 2017
- Insane Consequences: How the Mental Health Industry Fails the Mentally Ill / RC455 .J28 2017
- Treating and preventing adolescent mental health disorders / RJ503 .T75 2005
- How to change your mind: what the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression, and transcendence / RM324.8 .P65 2018
- Against all odds: psychosocial distress and healing among women / ebook
- Assessing and treating youth exposed to traumatic stress / ebook
- Black mental health: patients, providers, and systems / ebook
- Black women’s mental health: balancing strength and vulnerability / ebook
- Cross-cultural dialogues on homelessness: from pretreatment strategies to psychologically informed environments / ebook
- Practical strategies in geriatric mental health cases and approaches / ebook
Search terms for additional books in Lane Library’s catalog:
- Child mental health
- Interviewing in mental health
- Mental health
- Mental illness
- Neurobehavioral disorders
- Older people in mental health
- Self-actualization (Psychology)
- Social psychiatry
- Stress (Psychology)
Discovery Search: Search Lane Library’s books, ebooks, and articles in one place.
Books from other libraries
The following databases are useful places to search for criminal justice-related articles. Contact a librarian if you would like more information on how to search for articles on your specific topic.
- Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
- BioOne: Full-text journals in biology, ecology, and environmental science.
- JSTOR– Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
- New York Times: Access to news and archival content from NY Times. If you run into a paywall, here is more information on how to sign up.
- ProQuest Social Science Journals: Social science topics.
- PsycInfo: Behavioral science and related disciplines.
- PubMed: Citations for biomedical literature, with links to full-text content when available.
Get articles from other libraries
Government Sources, Statistics, and Websites
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: Mental Health
- MedlinePlus: Mental Health
- USA.gov: Access to information from federal agencies.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government and demographic information.
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- CIA World Factbook : Background information on each country in the world.
- Gallup polls: Public opinion polls regularly conducted on political, social, and economic issues.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- US Census Bureau: Access to data from federal surveys and censuses.
- World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics. / Lane Library AY67 .N5 W7.