Over 600,000 people around the world are killed in intentional homicide or in a violent conflict. Approximately one third of women globally have experienced sexual violence (WHO, 2017). Frequent mass shootings in the United States regularly shake the public. Aside from the tragic loss of human life, violence has lasting negative consequences on communities worldwide. This challenge addresses global expressions of violence to promote peace and security for all.
Reference resources provide a starting point for your research projects.
Credo Reference provides hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and more in one place. Below is a sample of keyword searches in Credo Reference related to violence:
- domestic violence
- gender-based violence
- gun violence
- hate crimes
- peace and conflict studies
- police brutality
- school violence
- sexual violence
- structural violence
- violence prevention
- Encyclopedia of Trauma: An Interdisciplinary Guide / ebook
- The Encyclopedia of Violence: Origins, Attitudes, Consequences / HM291.D4857 1993
- Family Interventions in Domestic Violence: A Handbook of Gender-Inclusive Theory and Treatment / ebook
- Handbook of Children, Culture, and Violence / ebook
- Handbook on Effective Prosecution Responses to Violence Against Women and Girls / ebook
- Handbook on the Psychology of Violence / ebook
- Oxford Textbook of Violence Prevention / ebook
Books from Lane Library
All books in this list are located in the Franzen Center on Floor 3A.
- Studying human behavior: how scientists investigate aggression and sexuality / BF199.L655 S78 2013
- Bully nation : how the American establishment creates a bullying society / BF637.B85 D47 2016
- Girls, aggression, and intersectionality : transforming the discourse of “mean girls” in the United States / BF724.3.A34 G57 2018
- Sacred fury : understanding religious violence / BL65.V55 S33 2017
- Surviving genocide : native nations and the United States from the American Revolution to bleeding Kansas / E93.O78 2019
- The goodness paradox : the strange relationship between virtue and violence in human evolution / GN281.4 .W73 2019
- Aggression in the sports world: a social psychology perspective / GV706.4.R867 A33 2008
- The victimization of women : law, policies, and politics / HV6250.4.W65 M425 2011
- No visible bruises: what we don’t know about domestic violence can kill us / HV6626.2 .S59 2019
- Hate crimes / HV6773.52 .H38 2020
- Misogyny: The new activism / HQ1233 .U56 2019
- The shadow of the wall : violence and migration on the U.S.-Mexico border / JV7401 .H53 2018
- The harms of crime media : essays on the perpetuation of racism, sexism and class stereotypes / P96.C742 U638 2012
- Violence in American popular culture / P96.V52 U675 2016 v.1-v.2
- Anger, aggression, and interventions for interpersonal violence / RC569.5.V55 A54 2007
- War is not inevitable: on the psychology of war and aggression / ebook
- Media violence and its effect on aggression: assessing the scientific evidence / ebook
- Gender, Violence, and Human Security: Critical Feminist Perspectives / ebook
Search terms for additional books in Lane Library’s catalog:
- structural violence
- racial violence
- hate crimes
- violent crime
- sexual violence
- peace studies
Discovery Search: Search Lane Library’s books, ebooks, and articles in one place.
Books from other libraries
The following databases are useful places to search for violence-related articles. Contact a librarian if you would like more information on how to search for articles on your specific topic.
- Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
- JSTOR: Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
- New York Times: Access to news and archival content from NY Times. If you run into a paywall, here is more information on how to sign up.
- ProQuest Research Library: Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals covering a variety of subjects, with over 3300 titles available in full text.
- ProQuest Social Science Journals: Over 550 full-text journals covering a range of social science topics.
- PsycInfo: Behavioral science and related disciplines.
Get articles from other libraries
If you cannot find a full-text version of the article you need, request it through interlibrary loan. Interlibrary loan is a free service that allows you to borrow books and articles from other libraries. Find answers to frequently asked questions about ILL here.
Statistics and Government Sources
- CDC Violence Prevention: Resources and data on violence as a public health issue and strategies for prevention.
- CIA World Factbook : Background information on each country in the world.
- Department of Justice Hate Crimes Resources: Portal for all DOJ hate
crimes resources for law enforcement, media, researchers, victims, advocacy groups, and other interested organizations and individuals.
- Gun Violence in America: Resource on gun violence from the National Institute of Justice.
- USA.gov: Access to information from federal agencies
- Wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government and demographic information.
- youth.gov Violence Prevention
- Bureau of Justice Statistics: Primary statistical agency of the Dept. of Justice. Resource for information on crime, criminal offenders, victims of crime, and the operation of justice systems at all levels of government.
- Gallup polls: Public opinion polls regularly conducted on political, social, and economic issues.
- Gun Violence Archive: Archive of gun violence incidents collected from over 7,500 law enforcement, media, government and commercial sources daily in an effort to provide near-real time data about the results of gun violence.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Find statistics and reports from NCADV, a nonprofit that works to create systemic change, prevent domestic violence, and support survivors.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- US Census Bureau: Access to data from federal surveys and censuses.
- Everytown for Gun Safety: Largest gun violence prevention organization in America.
- National Resource Center on Domestic Violence: Resource Library
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center: Nonprofit that provides information and tools to prevent and respond to sexual violence.
- Police Excessive Force (ACLU)
- WHO World Report on Violence and Health: Annual report analyzing global violence and strategies for addressing it.
- World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics. / Lane Library AY67 .N5 W7