Jordyn Rush ’07 talks about assisting with campaigns

“I’ve always been interested in politics; I did my first phone bank when I was young with my mom,” says Jordyn Rush ’07. “There are so many different jobs you can do on the campaign side of politics, there is something for everyone.”

Rush previously was the director of Member Services at the Ohio House Democratic Caucus of the Ohio Democratic Party, the third largest Democratic organization in the country. She currently is finance director of the Louisiana Democratic Party based in Baton Rouge.

She says all elections are important, and the general public needs to take a bigger interest in their local elections. “Everyone knows when a presidential election is, but the elections that affect your day-to-day living are those of your local state representative, state senator, county commissioner or school board,” she says. “Electing a new Democratic member to the state legislature is just as important
to my goals as reelecting Senator Mary Landrieu to the United State Senate.”

Rush says her most satisfying campaign has been the We Are Ohio campaign working on behalf of everyday people. “We were able to repeal Senate Bill 5, a bill that would have stripped firefighters, police officers, nurses, teachers and many more of their ability to collectively bargain,” she says.

“Ripon placed a strong emphasis on internships and outside-theclassroom activities,” Rush says. “By the time I graduated, I knew I wanted to work on the campaign side of politics as opposed to the legislative side. And when I graduated, I started the following morning at 8 a.m. at my new position in Iowa and haven’t stopped yet. I’ve had nine jobs in seven states since graduation. I’ve seen a lot of the country I would have never been to if it wasn’t for work. I’ve enjoyed every minute