Robb Kahl ’94 talks about work in the state assembly

Ripon College’s liberal arts and sciences education has served him well, says Robb Kahl ’94 of Monona, Wis. Kahl is the state representative for Wisconsin’s 47th Assembly District, a position he’s held since November 2012.

“Given my interest in public service and private business, the education and experiences I received at Ripon were instrumental in preparing me for my career,” he says.

Kahl is executive director and general counsel of the Construction Business Group, a joint labormanagement organization serving Wisconsin’s construction industry; owns small businesses; and sits on business boards and the Ripon College Board of Trustees.

“As I was growing up, my parents ran their own small business, so at an early age I grew to understand the struggles and successes the private sector has to offer,” Kahl says. “I felt that my experience with the private sector could be combined with my desire to give back to my community.”

Kahl was mayor of Monona, Wis., for eight years. When he took office, Monona’s bond rating was on the verge of being downgraded. When he left office, Monona had the highest bond rating possible for a municipality of its size, the rainy day help make Wisconsin an even better place to live and raise a family. The work I do in the State Assembly directly impacts the lives of all the people of Wisconsin. Whether it is public education, health care, venture capital or mining bills, all of those influence the day-to-day lives of the people of Wisconsin.”
fund was dramatically increased, and there were major redevelopments, new businesses and an expanded commercial tax base.

His four children inspired him to run for the State Assembly, Kahl says. “With my knowledge and skills gained from my private and public sector experience, I feel that I can