It is easy being green! Campus activities to celebrate Earth Week
As the national Earth Day celebrates its 45th anniversary on April 22, Ripon College students will celebrate the College’s commitment to sustainability and protecting the environment with a wide offering of related Earth Week activities.
- To kick off the week, students will be recruiting student, faculty and staff participants for the National Bike Challenge during lunch at the Commons on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, April 20-22. The challenge will run from May through September.
- “Chasing Ice,” an award-winning documentary about climate change, will be shown at 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 21, in Bear Auditorium, Farr Hall of Science. The film has been called “amazingly beautiful” and “visually breathtaking.” Among its numerous international awards is the 2014 News and Documentary Emmy Award for outstanding nature programming. The screening is sponsored by EGOR.
- Earth Week TED Talk held on Wednesday, April 22, at 4 p.m. in the Center for Social Responsibility Lounge.
- A participatory tree-planting event will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 25, at the EGOR garden behind the Plant Department building. Dress for the weather. All tools will be provided.
- Build-a-Bag and Earth Day games will be sponsored by the Green Floor from 3-5 p.m. Saturday, April 25, in the Martin Luther King Jr. Lounge, Harwood Memorial Union.
- Pub Party Green Week Dance, sponsored by EGOR, will be held from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday, April 25, in The Pub.
- An Environmental Studies Senior Symposium will be held from 6:15 to 9 p.m. Sunday, April 26, in Todd Wehr Hall, room 115. Student presenters include: Alison Thiel on “Environmental Education through Outdoor Ministry” at 6:30 p.m.; Cody Messerschmidt on “Rotifera Guild Ratio in Lake Neusiedl” at 7 p.m.; Mitchell Busch on “Metalimnetic Oxygen Minimum in Green Lake” at 7:30 p.m.; Keith Craker on “Environmental Consequences of Agricultural Pesticide Use” at 8 p.m.; and Kaitlyn Welzen on “Modern Agriculture and the Environment” at 8:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served at 6:15 p.m., and the audience can interact with the presenters at 9 p.m.
- On Sunday, May 3, a Campus Clean-Up will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., starting in the Quads. The clean-up is sponsored by the Environmental Group of Ripon (EGOR) and Theta Chi fraternity.
The annual Earth Day observance has its roots right here in Wisconsin, when, in 1970, Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson proposed April 22 as a day to support environmental issues.
A variety of musical solo and chamber works will be presented in a concert Thursday, Dec. 7, at Ripon College. The recital will begin at […]
All of the music ensembles of the Department of Music at Ripon College will present their annual Holiday Concert Sunday, Dec. 3. Two performances are […]
Peter Loewenstein ’24 of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, will perform a guitar recital Friday, Dec. 8, at the Thrasher Opera House in Green Lake. The recital will […]
Three Ripon College museum studies students who are interning at the Ripon Historical Society during the fall semester received real-life insights with a private visit […]