Art professor Mollie Oblinger has work in solo exhibition

Mollie Oblinger, associate professor of art, has a solo exhibit at Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, running through Feb. 10. About her mixed media art exhibit, Oblinger says, “Abstraction starts in observation. … Examinations of subtle overlooked actions, whether teeming underfoot or concealed by modern society, are at the center of my work. In the creation of beguiling landscapes, I pluck imagery from my interest in animal tunnels, cellular anatomy and vulnerability. By continually exploring unique locations, each body of work reflects a new set of discoveries and speaks specifically to place.

“In exploring the activity occurring just below the surface of the visible, I am interested in exposing the ways in which we undermine our natural environment. This interest guides my decisions in both material selection and construction process. I work with humble, but often artificial materials. I employ what has been discarded as unusable, such as lumber from the free bin and paint mis-tints. By using both the artificial and the waste materials to reproduce the aspects of the natural world that we destroy for gain or as nuisance, my work emerges from the thoughtful combination of content and process.”