Sports nutrition workshop will be held Aug. 23
A free sports nutrition workshop will be held from 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23, in Bear Auditorium, Farr Hall of Science. Lee Hyrkas, a registered dietitian with Bellin Health in Green Bay, will be the presenter. He will address topics related to nutrition and performance.
He says nutrition is a critical piece of the performance puzzle. In particular, the amount, timing and type of food consumed at meals plays a critical role in enhancing athletic performance, overall health and recovery from competition.
Topics will include:
- Energy needs for training and competition
- The impact of inadequate nutrition on training
- Carbohydrate, protein and fat guidance for peak performance
- Fueling recommendations for pre-, during, and post-competition
- Hydration needs
- Tournament fueling and eating on the road
- Healthy strategies to gain lean body mass and lose body fat
- Building a performance plate at meals
- Quick and healthy meal and snack ideas
- Sports supplements
- Sport-specific fueling (soccer, cross country, basketball, etc.)
- Foods that boost your immune system
All are welcome to attend.
“The Thanksgiving Play,” by Larissa FastHorse, will be presented Nov. 30 through Dec. 3 at Ripon College. Show times will be 7:30 p.m. in Benstead […]
Alondra Castillo ’23, a sociology and Spanish major from Northlake, Illinois, has placed second in the Wisconsin Sociological Association’s undergraduate student paper competition. She won […]
“After the Election: Now What?”, a panel discussion, will be presented Nov. 17 at Ripon College. The presentation will begin at 6:30 p.m. in Kresge […]
Freesia McKee, Ripon College’s poet-in-residence, will present a poetry reading at 1 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12. The reading will be in the North Reading Room […]