People and classes sparked DIII assistant basketball coach

After spending his first three years at Western Michigan University, Hayden Hoerdemann ’15 chose to transfer to Ripon College for his senior year.

“It was the best decision of my life,” Hoerdemann says. “I loved every minute and wish I was able to be there longer.”

Hoerdemann, who played for the basketball team at Ripon and is currently graduate assistant basketball coach at Illinois Wesleyan University, says there are three main areas that, for him, separate the College from other schools:

Classes and teachers. “At Ripon, the classes are smaller in size and you will feel more like a person than just a number,” he says. “At a larger school like my previous school, Western Michigan, the classes were much bigger and I did not feel as involved. But at Ripon, your professors are very knowledgeable and some of the best! You will be able to participate and ask questions much easier, which was one of my favorite aspects of the College.”

The people. “With a smaller school like Ripon, you are able to get to know more people and have the chance to build long-lasting relationships. You will be passing by people whom you know, and you will feel more at home than at a larger school. At Ripon College, I made more lifelong friends than I did in my three years at Western Michigan.”

The community. “The support and love of the college from alumni, the Ripon community and current students all are things I have never seen before. You will see at sporting events, club activities and events that everyone gets involved. It is something that I will cherish my entire life.”

“The education is top-notch, and the resources that the college provides with help finding a job after college is like no other,” adds Hoerdemann. I am grateful for everything that Ripon does and has provided me for my one year at the school. I felt like I was at Ripon for much longer with the way I was taken in and treated so well.”

Find your spark at Ripon College.