Ripon College Jazz Ensemble to perform fall concert Dec. 8
The Ripon College Jazz Ensemble will perform its fall concert Friday, Dec. 8. The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. in Demmer Recital Hall, C.J. Rodman Center for the Arts, on the campus. There is no admission charge.
The ensemble will perform a variety of big band works, from Duke Ellington’s “Jumpin’ Punkins” from 1939 through the newest release, “Pueblo de Taos,” by the late Wisconsin composer Fred Sturm.
Tribute will be offered to the late Walter Becker with the big band arrangement of Steely Dan’s “Aja.” Two of Oliver Nelson’s classic charts from his Berlin Dialogues, “A (Relative) Calm” and “Checkpoint Charlie” also will be featured. Other music on the program includes Sammy Nestico’s Basie/Sinatra-inspired arrangement of “Fly Me to the Moon” and Thad Jones’s “Big Dipper.”
The jazz combo will perform two other Oliver Nelson classics, “Stolen Moments” and “Yearnin’.”
The ensembles are led by Professor of Music Kurt Dietrich.
Members of the ensemble include:
- Reeds: Rylie Morris ’19 of Dousman, Wisconsin; Janet Koehler ’20 of Brillion, Wisconsin; Kate Myszewski ’19 of Appleton, Wisconsin; Thomas Popies ’21 of Rubicon, Wisconsin; Jessica Miles ’21 of Lancaster, Wisconsin; and Cris Magana ’19 of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
- Trombones: Jacob Kramer ’19 of Ripon Wisconsin; Eric Westberg ’20 of North Mankato, Minnesota; Wyatt Thomas ’20 of New Berlin, Wisconsin; and David Scott of Ripon, Wisconsin.
- Trumpets: Ben Ruetten ’07 of Oshkosh, Wisconsin; Danielle Boerson of Princeton, Wisconsin; Dennis Jaeger ’20 of Waupun, Wisconsin; and Jonathan Simpson of Ripon, Wisconsin.
- Piano: Steve Yeomans of Green Lake, Wisconsin.
- Bass: Erik Dietrich of Ripon, Wisconsin.
- Guitar: Dillon Guelich ’18 of Waukegan, Illinois.
- Drums and percussion: Ben Paulson ’15 of Ripon,Wisconsin; and Thomas Reed ’21 of Berlin, Wisconsin.
Members of the combo who are not in Jazz Ensemble are Bret Jaeger ’84 of Waupun, Wisconsin; saxophone; Geoff Guevara-Geer ’92 of Ripon, Wisconsin, saxophone; and Lauren Good ’19 of Wautoma, Wisconsin, piano.
Jan Plane keynote speaker at Google conference abut women techmakers
Jan Plane, associate professor of computer science, was the keynote speaker at the workshop “A Deep Dive by EDU Change Makers,” hosted April 27 by […]
Travis Nygard presents paper at conference of Midwest Art History Society, publishes essay in book
Associate Professor of Art History Travis Nygard recently published an essay in a new book and presented a paper. “Interpreting an Ancient Maya Masterpiece, Palenque’s […]
Halle Hadel ’25 and her dog, Eve, bring home Award of Merit from Westminster dog show
Halle Hadel ’25 of Ripon, Wisconsin, and her Siberian husky, Eve, received an Award of Merit earlier in May at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog […]
Jessie Lillis ’13 returns to Ripon for summer residency, presentation of Shakespeare plays
When a series of free performances of plays by William Shakespeare is presented in the Ripon/Green Lake area this summer, Jessie Lillis ’13 will be […]