Ripon College celebrates Black History Month
Ripon College’s Black Student Union will celebrate Black History Month during February with a variety of events:
- Feb. 2: An open mic night will begin at 7 p.m. at Mugs Coffeehouse in downtown Ripon. Sign-ups by faculty, staff and the community can be done in the Student Activities Office.
- Feb. 5-9: Egyptian theme week. Fun facts cards will be handed out throughout the week.
- Feb. 9: Black Pop Culture Kahoot! Answer questions about the black culture at 7:30 p.m. in room 104, Todd Wehr Hall. There will be prizes for the top five winners.
- Feb. 14: In honor of Valentine’s Day, the “Love is Color Blind?” event will focus on interracial couples and their everyday troubles. It will begin at 7 p.m. in the Scott TV lounge.
- Feb. 16: The “Black Panther: Vanguards of Revolution” documentary will be shown at 7 p.m. in the main lounge of Johnson Hall. Popcorn will be available.
- Feb. 24: A trip will be sponsored to Chicago’s DuSable Museum of African American History. Details will be announced later.
Black History Month, or National African American History Month, is an annual celebration of achievements by black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history. The event grew out of Negro History Week, the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month. Other countries around the world, including Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating black history.
For more information, contact Kyonna Henry, director of multicultural affairs, at 920-748-8190.
Students participating in the summer Momentum Leadership Fellows Program took a field trip to the Milwaukee Zoo Aug. 11 and met with Jodi Gibson ’89, […]
One of only 50 Order of Omega national scholarships was won by Jacqueline Hanson ’23 of DeForest, Wisconsin. Hanson says receiving the award was a […]
The 2023 HEDIT Conference, aimed at promoting diversity and inclusion in higher education, will be held Thursday, Oct. 26, in the conference center on the […]
The Ripon College Department of Theatre will hold open auditions and crew call Aug. 29 and 30 for plays scheduled for the fall semester. The […]