Ripon College celebrates Black History Month
Ripon College’s Black Student Union will celebrate Black History Month during February with a variety of events:
- Feb. 2: An open mic night will begin at 7 p.m. at Mugs Coffeehouse in downtown Ripon. Sign-ups by faculty, staff and the community can be done in the Student Activities Office.
- Feb. 5-9: Egyptian theme week. Fun facts cards will be handed out throughout the week.
- Feb. 9: Black Pop Culture Kahoot! Answer questions about the black culture at 7:30 p.m. in room 104, Todd Wehr Hall. There will be prizes for the top five winners.
- Feb. 14: In honor of Valentine’s Day, the “Love is Color Blind?” event will focus on interracial couples and their everyday troubles. It will begin at 7 p.m. in the Scott TV lounge.
- Feb. 16: The “Black Panther: Vanguards of Revolution” documentary will be shown at 7 p.m. in the main lounge of Johnson Hall. Popcorn will be available.
- Feb. 24: A trip will be sponsored to Chicago’s DuSable Museum of African American History. Details will be announced later.
Black History Month, or National African American History Month, is an annual celebration of achievements by black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history. The event grew out of Negro History Week, the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month. Other countries around the world, including Canada and the United Kingdom, also devote a month to celebrating black history.
For more information, contact Kyonna Henry, director of multicultural affairs, at 920-748-8190.
Seventeen students collaborated with Professor of Chemistry Joe Scanlon and Associate Professor of Chemistry Patrick Willoughby on ground-breaking research that resulted in a published article […]
The Ripon College community is growing. As of Aug. 27, we welcome a class of 250 first-year students and nine transfer students. This compares to […]
When Chase Polyak ’25 of Lombard, Illinois, starts at Ripon College as a freshman this fall, she brings with her some touching family connections. She […]
Ripon College’s inaugural Momentum Leadership Fellows Program launched Monday with 26 participating students and will run for three weeks up to the start of the […]