Ripon College Chamber Singers to go on Midwest tour March 9-13
The Ripon College Chamber Singers will conduct their annual tour during spring break March 9-13. John C. Hughes, assistant professor of music and director of choral activities, is the conductor.
The ensemble will perform a variety of unaccompanied choral works, including a wide variety of works from Renaissance madrigals to new arrangements of Native American music. They will be joined by guest choirs and artists at several locations.
“Touring has numerous benefits,” Hughes says. “Instead of working on music for a couple months, performing it once, and then moving on to the next set, touring offers repeat performances. It’s astonishing to watch the music evolve and change over the five performances.
“Additionally, it’s interesting to sing in different acoustics every night and to let the performance spaces shape our musical interpretations. Besides these musical and educational benefits, the students grow as a group and have a lot of fun along the way. I still remember going on tour when I was in college, and those are some of my most cherished memories. I’m honored to help provide a similar opportunity for my students today.”
Every concert is free and open to the public. A free-will offering will be collected. Performances will be:
- Friday, March 9, 7:30 p.m., St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, with Fond du Lac High School Varsity Choirs, Cory Schneider, conductor
- Saturday, March 10, 7:30 p.m., Pilgrim Lutheran Church, St. Paul, Minnesota, with Cretin-Derham Hall High School Chamber Singers, Isaac Lovdahl, conductor
- Sunday, March 11, 7:30 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Monday, March 12, 7:30 p.m., Round Lake High School, Round Lake, Illinois, with Round Lake High School Panther Voices, Robert Olson, conductor
- Tuesday, March 13, 7:30 p.m., Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, with organ prelude by John R. Krueger
A video preview of the tour can be viewed here.
Members of the Chamber Singers and their majors are:
- Soprano: Callista DeCramer ’20, Princeton, Wisconsin, music; Keeley Eames ’18, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, studio art and global studies; Margaret Goodwin ’18, Port Washington, Wisconsin, biology and music; Rachel Myers ’21, Williams Bay, Wisconsin, music; Maria Reber ’21, North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, music and theatre; Savannah White ’19, Carol Stream, Illinois, psychology and theatre; Sophie Widman ’18, Boulder Creek, California, music and theatre.
- Alto: Mikey Ambrowiak ’18, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, theatre; Bailey Jerrick ’20, Stoughton, Wisconsin, biology and theatre; Grace Larson ’20, Coon Rapids, Minnesota, psychology and English; Jessica Miles ’21, Lancaster, Wisconsin, music.
- Tenor: Wil Bridenhagen ’21, Neenah, Wisconsin, music and theatre; Ethan Freiermuth ’19, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin, politics & government and economics; Drew Hetz ’18, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, chemistry-biology; Tom Poullette ’21, Plymouth, Wisconsin, chemistry-biology.
- Bass: James Balistreri ’19, Plymouth, Wisconsin, theatre; Luke Dretske ’21, Berlin, Wisconsin, business management; Ryan Krogsgaard ’20, Fort Worth, Texas, politics & government; Junmo Kwon ’20, Chicago, Illinois, chemistry-biology; Austin Michael ’21, Portage, Wisconsin, business management; Owen Reynolds ’18, Wales, Wisconsin, music.
Halle Hadel ’25 and her dog, Eve, bring home Award of Merit from Westminster dog show
Halle Hadel ’25 of Ripon, Wisconsin, and her Siberian husky, Eve, received an Award of Merit earlier in May at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog […]
Jessie Lillis ’13 returns to Ripon for summer residency, presentation of Shakespeare plays
When a series of free performances of plays by William Shakespeare is presented in the Ripon/Green Lake area this summer, Jessie Lillis ’13 will be […]
Review of exhibit featuring work of Rafael Francisco Salas published
A review of Professor of Art Rafael Francisco Salas’ recent exhibit was published May 9 on Shepard Express, a Milwaukee publication. “Cruces|Crossroads” was on view […]
Ripon College forms new chapter of Iota, Iota, Iota honor society
Ripon College has formed a new chapter of Iota Iota Iota (Triota), the national women’s and gender studies honor society. Initiation of the inaugural 17 […]