Brad Alberts ’92 carries love of sports into professional career

The opportunity to continue playing basketball and the personal interest of coaches were deciding factors for Brad Alberts ’92 to attend school at Ripon College.

“I was looking for a school to play basketball, and Ripon was very comfortable to me,” Alberts says. “Coach Bob Gillespie or a member of his staff was at every one of my high school games, and the players that I met made me feel very comfortable. In addition, the staff I met were incredible. Some are still there. Great people!”

Alberts majored in history at Ripon College and received a master’s degree in sports management from the University of Northern Colorado.

He now is the president of the Dallas Stars Hockey Club. He oversees all aspects of the Stars’ business operations, including finance and administration, box office, human resources and information technology. He manages about 100 full-time staff. He also will continue to serve as president of the Texas Stars, the organization’s minor league affiliate located in Cedar Park, Texas.

His previous work experience includes nearly two decades of professional sports experience with the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers; as executive vice president of the Hicks Sports Marketing Group, the in-house sponsorship sales group for the Stars, Texas Rangers and Liverpool Football Club; and as vice president of sponsorship and sales at Legends/CSL, overseeing events at numerous venues around the country.

“The education I received at Ripon taught me how to think. How to write. How to communicate,” Alberts says. “I think those things are the most beneficial to my career. They are actually very underrated traits for successful business in my opinion.”

He says the most rewarding part of his Ripon College education was “being around some amazing people. I got everything I could out of basketball, and the memories and teammates are lifelong. The staff and professors at Ripon are world-class people. I thoroughly enjoyed my Ripon experience!”