Computer studies at Ripon lead to analyst position at Mayo Clinic for David Daugherty ’18

Studies at Ripon College led to a career in computer science for David Daugherty III ’18. Daugherty is an analyst programmer on the Enterprise Data Programming Services unit for Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He will be transferring to the Scottsdale, Arizona, campus in January 2020.

In his job, he primarily uses SQL code to interact with a variety of databases. He searches for specific information in the databases for a request, pulls that information and formats it using different software tools. Most of the requests for data come from internal Mayo Clinic doctors for medical research.

Daugherty chose to come to Ripon College because he liked the size of the school, which allowed for smaller class sizes. He also enjoyed getting to know the professors. He felt that Ripon had a good reputation for academics and financial aid.

He says he also enjoyed being in a smaller town to take a break from the city life in Rochester, Minnesota.

“The areas of study I found I found most beneficial in aiding my career were, of course, my computer science courses with (then-Visiting Professor of Computer Science Dr. William) Retert and Associate Professor of Mathematical Sciences Dave Scott,” Daugherty said. “I found the many history courses I took with Professors Diane Mockridge and Sarah Frohardt-Lane extremely beneficial. These courses really got me to analyze deeply the content I was reading and learning, and to look at the finer details of what is in front of you.”

The most important take-aways from his time at Ripon were the different experiences he had and friends that were made. He ran cross country and track. He joined Sigma Chi and made connections, friendships and found ideals that still matter a lot to him today, he says. He adds that he would still choose to go to Ripon today and would not change any of his experiences.

Zoe Hazel ’22
Friendship, Wisconsin