We’re still here: Abby Korb ’20

Abby Korb ’20 of Burlington, Wisconsin, is headed for graduate school in Washington, D.C., this fall.

The politics & government and psychology double major will study for her master’s degree in public policy at American University. She also will work as a graduate assistant and will seek another job position in Washington, as well.

“The most important lesson I am taking away from Ripon is the idea to challenge yourself and try new things,” Korb says. “I never thought politics was a field I would be going into, but with the help of the staff and faculty at Ripon I was able to push myself and find my place in the field. I took on many internships and big things that were daunting at times, but in the end I am so thankful for everything that I did and was able to do through the help of the school. I hope to continue doing that in the future.”

The off-campus end of the semester has been difficult for her. “I find myself struggling with my mental health in the sense that I am alone and isolated more than I want to be,” she says. “It’s great to be with my family, but it’s so hard to be away from my friends in what was supposed to be our last bit of time together. I hope that we can have our graduation together sooner rather than later and that we can all have the last moments and goodbyes that we so desperately want.

“Academically, it’s a hard transition. I find myself spending double (if not more) time than I would’ve at school trying to get things done for classes. There’s a reason I chose the school I did, and it was for the quality in-person instruction. Our professors are doing the best they can, but the switch to online has been hard. I’m looking forward to beginning in-person instruction at grad school soon! I’m slowly adjusting, and I’m sure that it will all end up OK!”