We’re still here: Madeleine Craig ’20

With a triple major in theatre, English and history, Madeleine Craig ’20 of West Bend, Wisconsin, has a variety of options. After graduation in May, she plans to take a gap year during which she will work and apply to graduate programs in theatre or English. She hopes to pursue a master’s degree and Ph.D. in Shakespearean studies.

She says the most important lesson she learned at Ripon College is to trust herself. “Those in positions of authority aren’t always or able to keep others’ best interests at heart, or may not recognize when there is an issue,” she says. “What I have learned is to trust my gut, and when I find something wrong or that can be improved, to work as hard as I can to make sure it is changed. I have never been a leader, but this year especially has put me into that position and from my experiences I have learned a great deal about what it means to me to take care of my friends and other students by doing what I can, not what is convenient.

“I have also learned how much professors can truly care and change the lives of their students. I have never experienced people in a teaching position being so invested in the safety and well-being of their students as I have in the theatre, English and history departments. I have also learned that my friends have been and will always be some of the most important people in my life. I met a lot of amazing and very different people with different personalities, experiences and beliefs in my time here. Each of them is of immense value to me, and I hope to keep in contact with them even after leaving.”

Craig says she is coping with the off-campus end to the semester by being as creative as possible. “I started an online Dungeons and Dragons campaign, I write, I draw and I practice my musical instruments,” she says. “It doesn’t fix everything, but it gives me something constructive to do during the day aside from the mountain of schoolwork. I also Zoom and Skype my friends as much as possible to fulfill the quota of social interaction that I need throughout the week.”