We’re still here: Lindsey Karras ’20

Lindsey Karras ’20 of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, will be student teaching in Milwaukee during the fall semester, and she says she is “very excited to begin.” She is a double major in psychology and educational studies early childhood.

“Ripon College has taught me that it is OK to ask for help,” she says. “As college students, we are often asked to take on a heavy workload in respect to classes. In addition, we take on internships, part-time jobs, intramural sports, participate in student government and Greek life, and generally go the extra mile to squeeze out the most experiences we can have during our time here.

“Students cannot be successful in these endeavors without the support of friends, faculty, parents and coaches. I’ve always felt that the professors, specifically, are key to ensuring student success. Our professors are truly dedicated to helping students learn, and many spend an almost inordinate amount of time working with students to ensure their success. Everyone needs help at some point, whether they are struggling emotionally, academically, financially, socially or in any other aspect. I have learned that these issues should not make you feel ashamed. No one should have to struggle alone. Ripon College is exceptional at making you feel like you always have someone to turn to for help.”

She adds, “Ripon has become a home to me over the past four years, and I knew leaving in May would be difficult. Being uprooted so suddenly was a shock, but I am trying to remain positive about my new living situation. I have been keeping in contact with my Ripon friends daily by texting, making Zoom calls and writing letters. I have made plans with a few friends to get together when it is safe. I am reassured by the fact that I will see many of them again.”