We’re still here: Forrest Grade ’20

Forrest Grade ’20 of Appleton, Wisconsin, plans to work in the legal/government sector after graduation this month.

He is majoring in philosophy with a minor in anthropology.

“The most important lesson I learned during my time at Ripon College is that you have to be happy with who you are before you can begin to truly grow,” Grade says. “The best thing about being human is that if you aren’t happy with who you are or where you are in life you have the power to change yourself. Our choices define who we are, so make them carefully. Choose, then act.”

He adds, “Having my time at Ripon College cut short like this feels like I have been robbed of all the experiences and celebrations that the last 3½ years should have culminated into. Don’t get me wrong — I love my family dearly, but being back home is nowhere near the place of learning and social experience that Ripon was. I’ve been trying to cope and stay positive by staying connected with friends and getting out of the house to be outside whenever possible.

“To all my friends and brothers that I haven’t talked to since we left for spring break, I’m sorry and I miss you. I hope you are well and don’t be a stranger. Ripon was my home. It’s seen me at my worst and at my best. I have permanently become a better person because of Ripon College and because of that, it will always hold a special place in my heart. One thing I know for sure is that the weekend of Oct. 3 is going to be one wild weekend.”