We’re still here: Haley Stowell ’20

The COVID-19 pandemic and her liberal arts college education have provided important lessons for Haley Stowell ’20 of Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

“I think the most important lesson Ripon has taught me is creative problem-solving,” Stowell says. “This year isn’t going the way anyone expected, so I’ve had to do quite a bit of thinking on my feet and rearranging my plans in the past several weeks. Because of Ripon’s focus on the liberal arts and a ‘thinking-outside-the-box’ mentality, I feel prepared for whatever may come my way.”

Stowell is a double major in communication and English and plans to work after graduation. “Though I am sad that I have to spend my last few months as a student away from campus, I am coping fairly well,” she says. “I’m able to talk to my friends and professors through email and Zoom and am keeping myself occupied with various crafts, baking projects and spending time with my cat! Though I suspect she is getting quite tired of me at this point. I’ve also been taking the time to get outside with my new camera and snapping some pictures of the spring in Wisconsin.”