We’re still here: Mariah Stiemsma ’20

After graduation, Mariah Stiemsma ’20 of New Berlin, Wisconsin, plans to continue work on the board of directors of the Saving Sully Dog Rescue and to find employment in the greater Oshkosh area.

“Eventually, I hope to apply to a veterinary medicine program as animal care and welfare is a strong passion of mine,” she says. “However, I am excited to live life outside the bounds of being a student for a couple of years.”

She is majoring in biology.

“Ripon College has been so imperative to my self-growth throughout the last four years,” she says. “I am thankful to have learned to be self-reliant among such a caring community of students, professors and staff to fall back on. The most important lesson I have learned is to lean in, not away, from the support. Some of my most meaningful memories at Ripon is a long life talk with Michele Wittler, a heart-to-heart over coffee with Resident Hall Directors LaPerish Barnes or Nate Ebert, running up to the third floor of Smith Hall for a hug from Peggy Hutchings, and spontaneously stopping by for a chat in Professor Memuna Khan’s office.”

She says of the off-campus end to the semester, While it has been such a bittersweet period of my life to unexpectedly lose such a memorable time of my college career, I feel very blessed to have an awesome support system of my boyfriend, family, friends, my pets.

“While it is hard to find contentment in such a crazy time, I have been spending my time reading for pleasure, walking the dogs, FaceTiming my friends and family, and fostering puppies for Saving Sully Dog Rescue.”