We’re still here: Katelyn Spaeth ’20

Katelyn Spaeth ’20 of Kaukauna, Wisconsin, hopes to teach children with disabilities. She has been finishing up her special education certification and student teaching over the past year and is coping with the restrictions of the current COVID-19 pandemic.

“Living at home while finishing up my student teaching has been motivating,” she says. “I will say that there are times I feel undisciplined, but being able to work with my brother as he finishes his college classes is really allowing me to be more driven.

She is majoring in educational studies, early childhood, and special education. She also has a minor in English. She hopes to work with elementary-age students in the Fox Cities area.

“I would love to find a position as a co-teacher, working with students with disabilities,” she says.

“Throughout my college experience, I learned so much about the power of relationships — whether that be when working with the kids in a classroom, working with partners in a class, or even talking with your favorite professor (I’m looking at you Jean Rigden!),” she says. “I have realized that we are all so much more similar than we are different. Ripon showed me that being with people who push you and challenge you is one of the best parts about being yourself. Thank you, Ripon, for allowing me to thrive in all kinds of relationships!”