We’re still here: Maya Petersen ’20

Maya Petersen ’20 of Emerald, Wisconsin, plans to take a gap year to gain some work experience before attending either medical school or graduate school for chemistry.

She is majoring in chemistry and Spanish.

“In my time at Ripon, I learned to never doubt my capabilities,” she says. “At the start of many semesters, I can recall thinking that there was no way I would be able to keep up with all of my coursework, athletics, jobs and other club responsibilities. However, I made it through every semester because my professors, friends, teammates, coaches and family were always there to support me and never once doubted my abilities.

She is finding that finishing the semester from home a challenge. “But I am enjoying the extra time I have been able to spend with my immediate family,” she says. “Between virtual classes, keeping up with track workouts and helping out around the house, I have been staying plenty busy.”