Noah Fish ’21 finds career focus through summer internship as a graphic designer

A summer internship with the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters baseball club taught Noah Fish ’21 a lot about himself, Fish says.

Fish, a communication and exercise science-sports management major from Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, discovered the graphic design internship opening online and applied with the assistance of Career and Professional Development Center staff and his advisors at Ripon College.

He was able to complete his internship on site at the ballpark. He created graphics and other publications for the team; assisted other interns in creating graphics for the website, social media and video content; and on game days, operated a video board system that displayed commercials and graphics.

Throughout the summer, he also made the Rafters’ team card set, team poster, game program and other sponsored content.

“I learned a lot about what it takes to work at the Northwoods League level and a lot about myself,” Fish says. “(I had) the opportunity to learn and get involved in a variety of different roles within sports management. I know now the standard that is expected at this level and what roles within sports management I would like to continue to pursue.”

He says one of his biggest takeaways is “if you focus your attention on controlling what you can control, you can always find success. Thanks to this internship, I have made vast improvements in my time management, my customer service skills, and my ability to face adversity in troubling times. Also, I have made strong connections with the front office and community in Rapids. I will utilize these relationships for future reference and guidance throughout the rest of my career.”

At Ripon College, Fish serves as an intern in the Office of Marketing and Communications, as president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) and as captain of the men’s soccer team.