War Memorial honors Ripon alumni killed in service to our country
Ripon College’s War Memorial commemorates Ripon alumni who gave their lives in service to their country in conflicts from World War I onward. The Memorial Plaque was presented by J. Harold Bumby, Class of 1923.
The plaque mounted on stone originally was located on Elm Street in front of the old Memorial Hall, renamed Memorial Gymnasium in 1951. After Memorial Gymnasium was taken down, the memorial was moved to its current location along Seward Street at the end of the green space.
Commemorated on the plaque are:
- World War I: Fern Bristol 1920; Clifford B. Guthrie 1919; Lester H. Ihrig 1920; Latimer Johns 1911; George C. Merrell 1905; Harry Mix 1920; Chester Shortt 1915; Harold M. Swift 1920; George W. Whitney 1920
- World War II: Jack L. Abrams 1943; Keith Albers 1946; Benjamin M. Anderson Jr. 1943; William G. Bayley 1941; Thomas H. Berry 1946; Robert R. Birge 1944; Dale V. Burk 1944; Raymond L. Collins 1941; Wesley R. Cox 1945; James Des Jardins 1946; Dennis A. Edwards 1946; Jack K. Eickhoff 1946; Thomas F. Eubank 1941; Stuart E. Farrill 1943; Louis W. Fleck 1942; Joseph W. Ganes 1939; Jack S. Gerrie 1940; James C. Graham 1941; Arthur F. Halamka 1941; Homer H. Hall 1944; Robert F. Heller 1940; Harold F. Henslin 1944; Louis T. Hunold 1937; R. Keith Jennings 1946; Henry N. Klein Jr. 1946; Robert E. Kuenzi 1943;Victor J. Lamar 1944; Ray Lorimer 1941; Thomas L. Luell 1946; William H. Luth 1946; Carl W. Lyle 1937; John D. Maynard Jr. 1946; Lowell L. Maynard 1943; William C. Mcevoy 1945; Gordon R. Myers 1936; Carter H. Nason 1925; Glenn W. Nelson 1944; Edward R. Prasil 1945; John F. Pritzlaff 1938; Charles F. Ramlow 1942; Keith K. Ramsdell 1942; Mathew A. Rosenblum 1935; Fredrick A. Rowe III 1942; Marvin F. Schmidt 1931; Robert L. Schmidt 1944; George I. Sheldon 1936; John N. Simon 1946; Kenneth C. Smith 1936; Eugene Stigler 1946; Edward P. Stone 1946; Richard W. Stone 1938; Charles H. Thrasher 1938; William N. Van Aman 1945; Russell A. Voeltner 1946; William J. Wells 1936; Roy F. Wentland 1936; Alvin H. Zentner 1945
- Korea: William Mackey Ives 1951; Edward John Mueller 1949
- Vietnam: Robert W. Brownlee 1951 (MIA); William M. Church 1949; Peter C. Ferguson 1967; J. Kent Hayward 1963; Karl F. Lange 1952; Rodney J. Lawson 1953; William J. Lyons 1962; Clifford O. Mignerey 1966; Thomas W. Newman 1967; Rick L. Scott 1971
- Operation Iraqi Freedom: Paul J. Cassidy 1989
“Tide Charts: Ebb and Flow,” an exhibit of mixed-media artworks by James B. Thompson ’73, is on view through Feb. 25 in Western Oregon University’s […]
Dec. 7, 1941, was declared “a date which will live in infamy” by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt after the Empire of Japan’s attack on […]
“Everybody,” by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins, a modern adaptation of the classic play “Everyman,” will be presented Dec. 8 to 11 in Benstead Theatre, C.J. Rodman Center […]
“The Human Animal,” a short story by Joshua English ’07 of Louisville, Kentucky, won the 2021 Ember Chasm Review fiction award. His work is featured […]