Musical activities of Laura Schultz ’93 featured in newsletter

A personal profile of Laura Schultz ’93 is featured in the July issue of the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia newsletter.

The newsletter’s Off Campus series focuses on off-work activities of hospital colleagues. Schultz is a data scientist in the Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics.

Schultz has had a lifelong love of music, and she participated in music at Ripon College. She now has played in the Original Hobo Band in Pitman, New Jersey, for nine years, along with her two daughters. She also performs with the Penn Med Symphony Orchestra, a group comprising nurses, physicians, researchers and members of the Philadelphia community as well as medical students.

Her instruments include oboe, flute and piccolo.

“Music has always been a source of joy for me, and I have been thrilled to share that joy with both of my daughters,” Schultz says in the article. “When I am feeling stressed, playing one of my instruments provides me with a great release. Even when I wasn’t actively performing with a group during graduate school, I still occasionally played flute or piano for stress relief.”

A virtual performance by the Penn Med Symphony, which features Schultz on oboe, can be viewed here.

At Ripon, Schultz majored in psychobiology and minored in chemistry.