Kassidy Walters ’23 receives award for servant leadership

Kassidy Walters ’23 of Greenfield, Illinois, received the Youth Exemplar Award from the Robert K. Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership after being nominated by the Pieper Steering Committee at Ripon College.

The award goes to a nominee who demonstrates exemplary servant leadership, a form of leadership that emphasizes leading through good character, focusing on the well-being and advancement of others and of the communities to which they belong.

Walters, a double major in exercise science-human performance and psychology, was nominated for the award because of her many leadership roles on campus.

In a letter of recommendation for the award, John Sisko, vice president and dean of faculty, says Walters is a “natural leader” and “truly exemplifies what it means to be a servant leader for the good of the Ripon College campus community.”

Sisko added that the College community is excited about Walter’s award because it is an acknowledgement of the growing presence of servant leadership at the College.

Walter’s leadership roles at Ripon include competing with distinction on the women’s basketball team and serving as the president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. She also has been a student leader on the Diversity Coalition Committee and the Campus Christian Fellowship.

“I enjoy participating in all of these activities as I feel like I am helping serve others in some way,” she says. “Whether it’s planning events for student-athletes or helping support other groups on campus, I want to make an impact in someone’s life.”

When she received notice of the award, Walters says, “I was honestly caught by surprise when I received an email stating that I have been selected. I believe this might have come from a nomination by someone at Ripon College, and I want to extend my gratitude towards them and everyone that was involved in this.”

She believes the award may open more opportunities for her to succeed in graduate school where she plans to study sports psychology. “I am very grateful to receive this award and it has helped open my eyes in understanding that my everyday actions really do add up,” she says.

Amanda Barlow ’23
Appleton, Wisconsin