Yazmin Doroteo is the new director of multicultural affairs

Yazmin Doroteo has joined Ripon College as director of multicultural affairs. She is from Vista/Oceanside, California. Her parents are from Guerrero and Oaxaca, Mexico, and came to the United States when they were young. Doroteo received her bachelor’s degrees in criminology & justice studies and sociology with a concentration in children, youth and families; and a master’s degree in sociology, all from California State University-San Marcos.

She previously worked at the California Indian Culture and Sovereignty Center and as a community engagement coordinator. Most of her work experiences have been with first-generation college students from underrepresented populations, including African American, Latinx, Native American, undocumented and LBGTQU students.

“Ever since I was an undergraduate student, I worked in different student affairs organizations,” she says. She knew she wanted to work with undergraduate students with diverse backgrounds and developed a passion for advocacy toward social change on a college campus.

“I knew that I wanted to support students of color and create cultural wealth and teach them about social capital,” she says. “Every student is an agent of change. That is something I want to highlight as a mentor/director of the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.”

At Ripon, she is eager to be a mentor, promote social equity and advocate for students. “I hope to create a community for students on- and off-campus,” she says. “I want our students to be prepared after leaving Ripon College with an idea of what will be their next steps. I want to foster more mentorship for our students so they can come back as alumni and mentor other students.

“Long-term, I want the center to feel like a safe place for all students to come in and work together on different causes. One main goal of mine currently is to have a multicultural graduation for our students. I am excited to see how our student population flourishes.”

Outside of work, she enjoys photography, working out, traveling, reading and hiking.