A liberal education is excellent preparation for a career in social work because it gives broad exposure to problems that people and societies face and which social workers typically encounter. Students interested in social work may major in economics, history, philosophy, politics and government, psychology or sociology, or may plan a self-designed major. A master’s in social work typically is required for a career in social work, so interested students should plan to pursue a graduate degree after completing their bachelor of arts. Consult Professor Jacqueline Clark or Associate Professor Marc Eaton.

Achieve More

Latest News

Photo of Harwood Memorial Union with clouds and sun

Ripon No. 1 in state for how much graduates earn, according to U.S. Department of Education

Ripon College has been named the No. 1 school in Wisconsin whose grads earn the most in mean wages 10 years after graduation. The study, […]


Jacqueline Clark

Clark, Jacqueline

Professor of Sociology, Helen Swift Neilson Professor of Cultural Studies

Marc Eaton

Eaton, Marc

Associate Professor of Sociology, Chair of Sociology and Anthropology Department


Ripon College faculty and professional staff are dedicated to helping you reach your goals, whatever they may be and however often they may change along the way. It’s part of our value statement to you.

As a student at Ripon, you will be assigned a faculty adviser based on your area(s) of interest. You will meet with your faculty adviser throughout your time as a student to discuss your current aspirations, plan your course schedule and plot a future trajectory. We also work collaboratively with Ripon College Career and Professional Development to help match your interests and skills to concrete goals and construct a plan for professional success offering personalized career counseling, off-campus learning opportunities and an online job board with potential to connect with local, national and international employers.

Advising at Ripon

Career Tracks

Graduates with a degree in social work typically work with a Department of Social Services, working in specialties such as juvenile justice, aging and hospice programs.

Unique Opportunities

  • Internships can be arranged in hospice programs; at Crossroads Academy, a local alternative public school; or a social services department.