Internship in Washington, D.C., solidifies future career focus for Abby Korb ’20

Abby Korb ’20 of Burlington, Wisconsin, spent the summer interning under the policy director at the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues in Washington, D.C.

Korb is a double major in psychology as well as politics and government.

“I am extremely grateful for the experience and loved my coworkers and being in the city, but I learned that I don’t want to spend more time in academia and research,” Korb says. “I like to tell people that the internship helped me find out what I don’t want to do in the future. If I decide to go into the nonprofit field, I would like to be working directly in the policy field and directly with people. A lot of my time was spent working with academic journals and research, and in the future, I’d like to work more in legislation and policy.”

While in Washington, Korb events she went to at the Capitol the most exciting part of her experience. She attended two congressional briefings as well as a congressional hearing on reproductive justice, which was her policy focus for the summer.

“Moving into the future, this internship overall helped me feel comfortable being in D.C. and experiencing life outside of a small town,” Korb says. “As someone who hopes to go to grad school in D.C. and spend some time working there, it truly solidified to me that it is the place that I am meant to be in the future. … More than anything, it allowed me to begin to feel comfortable in my future field of work, which I know will be helpful as I continue the process of applying to graduate school.”

Zoe Hazel ‘22
Friendship, Wisconsin