The following resources can be helpful places to start at the beginning of the research process.
Mathematics and Computer Science reference books
- BCS Glossary of Computing / ebook
- Beautiful Mathematics / ebook
- The Cambridge Dictionary of Statistics / ebook
- Encyclopedia of Computer Science / ebook
- The Facts on File Dictionary of Mathematics / QA5.F35 1999
- The Princeton Companion to Mathematics / ebook
- Credo Reference: A great starting point for research projects. Search in hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, quotations, and subject-specific titles, as well as 200,000+ images and audio files, and nearly 200 videos.
- Discovery Search: Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
- Math Overflow: Get answers to your math questions from professional mathematicians here.
- Wolfram MathWorld: A freely available, continually updated, and extensive online mathematics resource from Wolfram Research.
The following databases and journals are useful places to search for math and computer science-related articles. Contact a librarian if you would like more information on how to search for articles on your specific topic.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO): Covers a wide range of academic disciplines, with more than 8600 periodicals available in full text.
- ACM Digital Library: A comprehensive database of full-text articles and bibliographic literature covering computing and information technology.
- arXiv: Includes access to resources in physics, mathematics, non-linear science, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, and statistics.
- CiteSeerX: A digital library and search engine that includes resources such as algorithms and software and focuses on computer science.
- Directory of Open Access Journals: An interdisciplinary database of free, full-text, scholarly journals.
- [email protected]: An institutional repository for MIT’s digital research materials.
- HighWire Press: Open access scholarly journals in the sciences.
- ProQuest Research Library: Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals covering a variety of subjects, with over 3300 titles available in full text.
Search for journals that cover math and computer science-related topics by using our Publication Finder tool. You can search for specific journals by title, subject, and more.
Get articles from other libraries
If you cannot find a full-text version of the article you need, request it through interlibrary loan. Interlibrary loan is a free service that allows you to borrow books and articles from other libraries.
Books from Lane Library
Search for books in our collection through Lane Library’s catalog. You can find books at the library with the specific subject headings below.
- Computer science
- Computer security
- Computer simulation
- Human computer interaction
- Information technology
- Machine learning
- Differential equations
- Discrete mathematics
- Mathematical statistics
Discovery Search: Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Books from other libraries
- Codecademy: Learn to code with Codecademy’s free online courses.
- freeCodeCamp: Provides access to hands-on lessons, tutorials, videos, and resources so you can learn to code for free.
- Khan Academy: Offers free online courses in a wide variety of subjects, including programming and math.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: A web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.