- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., University of Northern Iowa-Cedar Falls
- B.A., University of Northern Iowa-Cedar Falls
- Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic & State University , Blacksburg, Virginia (biology)
- B.A., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (biology with honors)
I joined the faculty as an avian ecologist in 2006. My education started in Brooklyn, New York reading Ranger Rick, watching urban wildlife, and learning about the outdoors as a Girl Scout. I landed in Wisconsin after earning an undergraduate degree at the University of Chicago (B.A. Biology 1992), a doctorate at Virginia Tech (Ph.D. 1999), and a post-doctoral position at Princeton University. As an undergraduate, courses in Field Ecology and Animal Behavior introduced me to the wonderful world of birds and I haven’t gotten bored yet.
At Ripon my students and I study the behavior and ecology of a local population of Eastern Bluebirds. Since 2007, we have individually color-marked adult and nestling bluebirds and tracked their histories of movement and reproduction. My students have examined the impact of mealworm supplementation on nestling growth rates, double brooding, and overwintering behavior. These students have presented their work at undergraduate research symposia held by Sigma Xi and Beta Beta Beta, national cience and biological honor societies. My current research interests include a study of the movement of overwintering bluebirds at feeders in Ripon, and the efficacy of wren guards in preventing House Wren predation on bluebird nests.
At Ripon I teach Vertebrate Zoology, Biology of Birds, Animal Behavior, Ecology, Evolution, Scientific Writing, Environmental Studies, and Catalyst 120. I also take students on In Focus courses on Conservation and Biodiveristy in Costa Rica.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Minnesota
- M.A. in Philosophy, University of Minnesota
- M.A.R. in Theological Ethics, Yale Divinity School, Yale University
- Ph.D. in Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.A. in Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.A., in Economics, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- B.A., Swarthmore College
- Ph.D., analytical chemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A., chemistry, College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota