The Intern Diaries: Samantha Angell

Samantha is a senior psychology and sociology major from Watertown, WI. She is conducting research this summer in the Educational Psychology Department at the University of Virginia as part of her involvement with the McNair Scholars Program. She is one of four Ripon College students sharing their stories of research internships and jobs over the course of this summer.

Day 1 (and 2) of the Journey

Samantha AngellHave you ever ridden in a car for 15 hours straight? I can now tell you that I have, and that it is not the relaxing, comfortable situation you may believe it to be.

My name is Samantha Angell, and I am an upcoming-Senior at Ripon College. I am a Psychology and Sociology Major with a Spanish Minor, a member of Psi Chi, and a heavy supporter of the Ripon College Men’s Basketball Team. I am also a McNair Scholar, which is a select group of undergrads across the nation who comes from populations underrepresented in graduate schools. What does this have to do with my 15-hour car ride, you may ask? Let me tell you.

As a part of the McNair Scholars Program, I am encouraged to participate in various experiences that will help me succeed in my ultimate goal of going to graduate school to study Psychology. One such experience is to do research at another college or university during the summer and then to write about or present on said research. This summer, I am going to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA, where I will be working under one of their professors in the Educational Psychology department.
And this is why my family and I drove for 15 hours, straight through the night, only stopping for food and the occasional bathroom break. It was a long ride, and I am definitely tired (see the picture below I took of Indianapolis at 4:00 am) but it will be well worth it.

Indianapolis at 4 a.m.

Indianapolis at 4 a.m.

The first few days of my journey are part of the 8 week journey I will be taking as an intern at the University of Virginia.

Please stay tuned for further updates on the people I meet, places I go, and all the exciting research on Educational Psychology I will be doing in the months to come!

To read more from Samantha and our other summer bloggers, click HERE.

To learn more about the McNair Scholars Program at Ripon College, click HERE.

[retweet]