Dakota Marlega ’21 earns scholarship for government studies

Dakota Marlega ’21 of Waupaca, Wisconsin has received a 2018 Wisconsin Women in Government scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to undergraduate women who wish to pursue careers in public service, public administration or governmental affairs. The program offers three $3,000 scholarships in the Wisconsin College System: one each to a student in a UW school, a technical college and a private college.

For her letters of recommendation, Marlega “knew immediately which professors I wanted to ask. … I know my professors, and the relationship is reciprocal. I don’t think I’d be able to say the same if I were attending a larger university.”

Marlega is studying communication, theatre and Spanish at Ripon College. She works as an intern for the Office of Marketing and Communications and as an assistant in the Department of Communication. She recently interned for Living Room Conversations, an organization promoting civil discourse via structured conversations.

This semester, Marlega is participating in her third Ripon College theatre department show, engaging in the Presidential Leadership program and serving as vice president of the Ripon College Democrats. “All of my areas of study can be boiled down to my desire to foster more conversation in society, whether it be through understanding communication, performing or speaking across language barriers,” she says.

After Ripon, Marlega plans to attend graduate school for social work. As a first-generation college student, she feels her success stems from “the encouragement from great educators and supportive family members. …My future lies in helping others, just as my past was dependent upon others helping me.”

Andie Lemkuil ’21
Waupaca, Wisconsin