Volunteer, internship opportunities at Ripon impacted career of Emily Dozier ’14

The beauty of the campus and the intimacy she felt in the Ripon College community led Emily Dozier ’14 to choose to attend Ripon College.

“During my first college visit to Ripon, I immediately fell in love with the campus,” she says. “Lane Library, East and West halls, the admission office and, of course, the view up the hill at Hughes Walk were all so beautiful.

“I loved the sense of closeness the campus had, not just in its buildings, but as a community as well. All the students I met on my visit were genuinely interested in their studies and the professors I spoke with were encouraging as well. The campus initially drew me in, but it was the students and faculty that sealed the deal for me. “

Dozier majored in history and minored in educational studies. She is an adult education transition coordinator at John Wood Community College in her hometown of Quincy, Illinois. She assists adult students who are working toward their GED, improving basic education skills or improving their English. She then helps them find career and/or higher education opportunities.

She feels the volunteer and internship opportunities at Ripon College have significantly impacted her career, as well. “Through Ripon, I had the privilege of tutoring inmates at Green Lake Correctional Facility in the Recidivism Reduction program. These adult students were working on improving their basic education skills or towards their GED, just like students in my current program. During my senior year, I interned as a student ambassador in the Office of Admission.”

She says she found the quality of education at Ripon to be high. “Every class I took was interesting, every class important, and every class helped me grow personally and academically,” she says. “Additionally, I had great experiences with the London/Florence study abroad program, as a resident assistant, admission intern and volunteerism opportunities.

“I decided to go into education because I am passionate about learning and wanted to share that passion with others. Education provides endless opportunities, and I believe the lack of an education is what keeps people rooted in poverty.”