We’re still here: Alaura Lemieux ’20

Alaura Lemieux ’20 of Luck, Wisconsin, plans to take a gap year after graduation in May to work and apply to graduate schools. She plans to go into genetic research.

At Ripon, Lemieux is a double major in biology and theatre.

“The thing I’m taking from Ripon college is that, while we all leave and go our separate ways, Ripon taught us collaboration, especially with the alumni and our classmates,” Lemieux says. “While we may not see each other again before we graduate, all of us have learned the art of collaboration which will help us in future endeavors as well as when we meet again. We all are struggling right now, but we have all the lessons from Ripon to get us by, as well as the internet to actually collaborate.”

She says finishing the semester off-campus has been a struggle. “I never really feel like I’m getting anything done and that I’m stuck in some nightmare, especially when I listen to the news about the outside world,” she says. “I feel disconnected, which I never felt like on campus, and now I don’t know what’s happening and everything I worked toward was ruined. I don’t get to direct a one-act, I don’t get to do an APO initiation as president, I don’t get my well-earned senior week, any final lounge parties, I don’t get to finish my research for my biology seminar or my last free shirt for One Day Rally (I do really want that.).

“I am looking on the bright side, though. I have been getting more done then I think I am and I have done more baking in the last two weeks then the last year (stress baking even at school). I have two cats around, not just one, and my bed here is much better than at school. I hope that I get to see everyone before I graduate and that all the extra assignments that have been given by professors are finished before due dates!”