We’re still here: Laryssa Vaclavik ’20

Laryssa Vaclavik ’20 of Portage, Indiana, will return to Ripon in the fall for student teaching, and she also will be looking for other jobs to help her get into the school systems later. She is a double major in educational studies and history.

“One of the most important lessons that I have learned with my time at Ripon is that I have been able to overcome many obstacles that have tried to push me down or discourage me,” Vaclavik says. “School itself has not been easy for me, but I never chose to give up. I had the support I needed at school from friends and my coach, knowing they always were there and had my back and had encouraged me to keep going really helped me through anything that was thrown my way. We can get though anything if we put our minds to it as well as if we have the right people standing behind us.”

She adds, “The switch to being online and off campus has definitely been a roller coaster. Not having the resources I did have right there definitely puts some stress on schooling. I think the transition has not been too bad. It definitely is not ideal but we are making it work. I miss having my friends down the hall from me where we could just do work together, but now we all Zoom call and do work together. It has definitely been a struggle, but it is getting better. Although my cat does enjoy being in the house and not the dorms anymore, so I would say that is a plus, ha ha.”