Jessica Miles ’21 preparing to become a music educator

Jessica Miles ’21 of Lancaster, Wisconsin, has always had a passion for music and for education. After developing a close bond with a high school band director, combining these passions and becoming a music educator seemed natural. A first-generation college student, she is now majoring in music education at Ripon College and is gearing up to begin student-teaching in the spring.

She chose to attend Ripon College because of its small, tight-knit community, she says. Faculty focus on student success was another contributing factor to her decision. “One of my biggest fears going into college was being another face in the crowd and not getting the attention I needed to be successful and continue my education,” she says.

On campus, Miles is a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, the National Association for Music Education, and Mu Phi Epsilon the professional music fraternity. She performs with various vocal and instrumental music ensembles on campus and regularly volunteers with local school districts to teach students.

“I personally love the friendships and community relationships I have built during my time at Ripon,” she says. “I consider myself an outgoing person and have taken advantage of community involvement and connections outside of the College!”