Symphonic Wind Ensemble to perform April 10 at Ripon College
The Ripon College Symphonic Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Tobin Shucha, will perform April 10 at Ripon College. The concert will begin at 3:15 p.m. in Demmer Recital Hall, C.J. Rodman Center for the Arts. It is free and open to the public.
Selections will be “Kirkpatrick Fanfare,” by Andrew Boysen Jr.; “First Suite in Eb for Military Band,” by Gustav Holst; “Chorale and Shaker Dance,” by John Zdechlik; “Memorial,” by David William Rackley; and “Them Basses,” by G.H. Huffine.
Two of these pieces will be dedicated to Thomas Farvour of Ripon, Wisconsin, known as “Tuba Tom,” who died in January 2021. He played tuba in the ensemble for 35 years before the COVID-19 pandemic put a hold on community members participating in the ensemble.
“Them Basses” was Farvour’s favorite march to play. His brother, Richard, will play the bass drum with the ensemble for this piece.
“Memorial” features a rendition of “Taps” played by the tuba, an homage to Farvour’s pride in his military service and his dedication to playing the tuba. Robert Booty of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, who played most of those 35 years with Farvour, will play most of the “Taps” solo.
Members of the ensemble, which include both students and members of the community, are:
- Flute: Tia Endrizzi ’25 of La Crosse, Wisconsin; Vic Stapley ’25 of Boise, Idaho; Lydia Wiley Deal ’22 of Whitewater, Wisconsin, who also plays piccolo.
- Oboe: Sophie Ryf, a senior at Berlin High School; Logan Zeinert ’22 of Wittenberg, Wisconsin.
- Bassoon: Sandy Polcyn, who teaches music at Ripon High School.
- Clarinet: Claire Lefeber ’23 of Waunakee, Wisconsin; Ty Rondestvedt ’25 of Altoona, Wisconsin.
- Bass Clarinet: Ethan Mans ’24 of Princeton, Wisconsin.
- Alto Saxophone: Mitchell Lipinski ’24 of Green Bay, Wisconsin, who also plays baritone saxophone; Morgan Sullivan ’25 of Kimberly, Wisconsin.
- Tenor Saxophone: Misty Boswell ’25 of Markesan, Wisconsin.
- Baritone Saxophone: Megan Steffes ’24 of Hilbert, Wisconsin, who also plays alto saxophone.
- Trumpet: Robert Booty, Oshkosh, Wisconsin; Kylar Kinyon ’23 of Benton Harbor, Michigan; Caitlin Marsch ’24 of West Bend, Wisconsin; Jacob Zuehlke ’22 of Whitewater, Wisconsin.
- French horn: Kelsi Morris ’22 of Dousman, Wisconsin; Ryan Schneeberg ’22 of Campbellsport, Wisconsin.
- Trombone: Sam Erickson of Wausau, Wisconsin, who teaches music at Ripon Middle School; Jessica Jensen of Hortonville, Wisconsin, who teaches music at Ripon College; Haileey Pick ’25 of Temple, Texas.
- Euphonium: Emily Byington’25 of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
- Tuba: Evan Jensen ’24 of Stoughton, Wisconsin; Olivia Leichtnam ’25 of New Holstein, Wisconsin.
- Percussion: Daniel Cronin, a student at Ripon Middle School; Sandy Cronin of Ripon, Wisconsin; Jim Davis of Ripon, Wisconsin; Forrest Grade of Appleton, Wisconsin; Amari Poe ’25 of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Alli Slowiak ’22 of Kiel, Wisconsin.
There are three generations in one family playing in the percussion section: father Jim Davis, his daughter, Sandy Cronin, and his grandson, Daniel Cronin, all of Ripon.
(Photo: Tobin Shucha, left, and Tom Farvour)
Assistant Professor of Theatre Lillian Brown will appear in a professional production of “The Mousetrap” Nov. 25-Dec. 17 at Next Act Theatre in Milwaukee. Agatha […]
A variety of musical solo and chamber works will be presented in a concert Thursday, Dec. 7, at Ripon College. The recital will begin at […]
All of the music ensembles of the Department of Music at Ripon College will present their annual Holiday Concert Sunday, Dec. 3. Two performances are […]
Peter Loewenstein ’24 of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, will perform a guitar recital Friday, Dec. 8, at the Thrasher Opera House in Green Lake. The recital will […]