The following resources are helpful places to start at the beginning of the research process.
Environmental Studies reference books
- Anthropocene: A Very Short Introduction / GF75 .E49 2018
- A Companion to Global Environmental History / GF13.C63 2014
- Encyclopedia of American Environmental History GE150 .E53 2011 v.1-4 (non-circulating)
- Encyclopedia of Sustainability / GE10 .C65 2010 V.1-3
- The Facts on File Dictionary on Environmental Science / TD9.W95 F32 2007
- Global Climate Change / QC981.8.G56 G548 2013
- Credo Reference: A great starting point for research projects. Search in hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, quotations, and subject-specific titles, as well as 200,000+ images and audio files, and nearly 200 videos.
- Discovery Search: Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
- EdX Environmental Studies courses: Free online courses covering topics such as environmental science, natural resource management, environmental policy, civic ecology, pollution control, water treatment, and environmental sustainability.
- NASA Earth Sciences Division: Browse resources, articles, data, and more from NASA’s Earth Sciences Division.
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias: Explore updated, reliable articles on environmental science-related topics here.
The following databases are useful places to search for environmental science-related articles. Contact a librarian if you would like more information on how to search for articles on your specific topic.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO): Covers a wide range of academic disciplines, with more than 8600 periodicals available in full text.
- BioOne: Full-text journals in biology, ecology, and environmental science.
- Directory of Open Access Journals: An interdisciplinary database of free, full-text, scholarly journals.
- GreenFile: A collection of scholarly, government, and general-interest titles covering environmental studies.
- HighWire Press: Open access scholarly journals in the sciences.
- ProQuest Research Library: Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals covering a variety of subjects, with over 3300 titles available in full text.
Search for journals that cover environmental science topics by using our Publication Finder tool. You can search for specific journals by title, subject, and more.
Get articles from other libraries
If you cannot find a full-text version of the article you need, request it through interlibrary loan. Interlibrary loan is a free service that allows you to borrow books and articles from other libraries.
Books from Lane Library
Search for books in our collection through Lane Library’s catalog. You can find books with environmental science-specific subject headings below:
- Climatic change
- Environmental degradation
- Environmental economics
- Environmental education
- Environmental health
- Environmental policy
- Global warming
Discovery Search: Search Lane Library’s books, ebooks, and articles in one place.
Books from other libraries
Writing Guides and Citations
Sciences Writing Guide: Tips and tools from the Writing Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on writing in the sciences.
UW-Madison Writer’s Handbook: Find answers to many of your writing and citing questions in this comprehensive writing handbook from UW-Madison’s Writing Center.